[FieldTrip] errors while trying to run beamformer tutorial

K Jeffrey Eriksen eriksenj at ohsu.edu
Fri Aug 26 01:49:14 CEST 2016

I am trying to learn how to apply the LCMV beamformer to EEG data. To that end I am starting to go through this tutorial:

http://www.fieldtriptoolbox.org/tutorial/beamformer_lcmv?s[]=lcmv<http://www.fieldtriptoolbox.org/tutorial/beamformer_lcmv?s%5b%5d=lcmv>
I downloaded the data from this link:
The ft_definetrial and ft_preprocessing functions require the original MEG dataset, which is available from ftp://ftp.fieldtriptoolbox.org/pub/fieldtrip/tutorial/SubjectSEF.zip.
Then I tried this code:

% find the interesting segments of data
cfg                         = [];
cfg.dataset                 = 'SubjectSEF.ds';
cfg.trialdef.eventtype      = 'Blue';
cfg.trialdef.prestim        = .1;        % .1 sec prior to trigger
cfg.trialdef.poststim       = .2;        % .2 sec following trigger
cfg.continuous              = 'yes';
cfg = ft_definetrial(cfg);

and got this output:

Warning: could not determine filetype of SubjectSEF.ds
> In ft_filetype (line 1294)
  In dataset2files (line 42)
  In ft_checkconfig (line 557)
  In ft_definetrial (line 131)
  In fieldtrip_test_lcmv (line 13)
Warning: no trialfun was specified, using ft_trialfun_general
> In ft_definetrial (line 138)
  In fieldtrip_test_lcmv (line 13)
evaluating trialfunction 'ft_trialfun_general'
Error using ft_read_header (line 2248)
unsupported header format "unknown"

Error in ft_trialfun_general (line 78)
hdr = ft_read_header(cfg.headerfile, 'headerformat', cfg.headerformat);

Error in ft_definetrial (line 177)
    [trl, event] = feval(cfg.trialfun, cfg);

Error in fieldtrip_test_lcmv (line 13)
cfg = ft_definetrial(cfg);

So I am totally lost here. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
-Jeff Eriksen