[FieldTrip] Issues with trial by trial bad channel rejection

Varghese Peter V.Peter at westernsydney.edu.au
Thu Aug 18 05:10:11 CEST 2016

Dear fieldtrip community,

I have 128 channel EEG data collected from young infants in an ERP paradigm. Since the EEG data from young infants are noisier than adults, I tried to implement a trial by trial bad channel correction. If a trial has more than 20 bad channels, reject the trial altogether and if the number of bad channels are less than 20, interpolate the bad channels. I have implemented this using the following script. It seems to work, but when I load the file after this step, it takes a long time to load it (up to 20 minutes) and all subsequent processing takes very long time. Is there a way to fix this?

Thank you,
Varghese

indx=1;
BadChannelCriterion=100;
AllTrialsBadChannelLabels={};
datr={};
TrialNos=[];
for loop =1:length(I09_ADSStd_epochs2.trial),
    AllTrialsBadchannelIndex = find(max(abs(I09_ADSStd_epochs2.trial{loop}),[],2)>BadChannelCriterion);
    SingleTrialBadChannelLabels= I09_ADSStd_epochs2.label(AllTrialsBadchannelIndex );
    AllTrialsBadChannelLabels= [AllTrialsBadChannelLabels; SingleTrialBadChannelLabels];

     if length(find(max(abs(I09_ADSStd_epochs2.trial{loop}),[],2)>BadChannelCriterion))<20,
            BadchannelIndex = find(max(abs(I09_ADSStd_epochs2.trial{loop}),[],2)>BadChannelCriterion);
            BadchannelLabels=I09_ADSStd_epochs2.label(BadchannelIndex);
            cfg = [];
            cfg.layout= lay;
            cfg.badchannel = BadchannelLabels;
            cfg.method = 'spline';
            cfg.neighbours = EEG_neighbours;
            cfg.trials = loop;
            datr{indx} = ft_channelrepair(cfg,I09_ADSStd_epochs2);
            TrialNos(indx)=loop;
            indx=indx+1;
     end
end
cfg = [];
I09_ADSStd_epochs_clean = ft_appenddata(cfg, datr{:});