[FieldTrip] Stimulus(trigger) as an output channel in the biosemi2ft?

Ying Yang evergreenlifeyangying at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 21:21:59 CEST 2016

Dear FieldTrip Community,

My name is Ying Yang and I am a PhD candidate in the Center for the Neural
Basis of Cognition, Carnegie Mellon University.  I am trying to do
real-time EEG acquisition with our Biosemi system.

I am used to EEG processing/analysis in python, and would like use the
"mne-python" package with the FieldTrip acquisition tool "biosemi2ft".  In
some initial tests on our Windows 64 bit platform, I ran in cmd

biosemi2ft config.txt outputfile - 1972

and used the client object in FieldTrip.py. It seemed to work well.
However, it would be really convenient if the recorded data also included
the stimulus channel (the trigger channel or "status" channel). I know I
can get some info about the trigger events with
FieldTrip.Client.getEvents(), but it is more convenient to actually have
the trigger channel as one of the channels in the data.

>From the limited documentation on
http://www.fieldtriptoolbox.org/development/realtime/biosemi,  I could not
figure out whether it was possible to do so.  When I ran "biosemi2ft" on
our system, the prompt output said there were 280 channels. So I have
customized "config.txt" to select all 280 channels, but none of them seemed
to be the trigger channel.

So I would like to ask the community if it is possible to record the
trigger channel. And if yes, how should I specify it in the "config.txt"
file.  I will appreciate any input or comment.

Thank you.

Best,

Ying