[FieldTrip] how do embed a dipole model in a FEM head model?

Johannes Vorwerk j.vorw01 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 03:47:00 CEST 2016

Hi Jeff,

I am not sure if we have the same understanding of a „source model“, but in the terminology that is familiar to me there is no need to explicitly define a source model. As source model a current dipole is chosen and by standard the Venant appraoch is implemented to model the current dipole, see for example

H. Buchner, G. Knoll, M. Fuchs, A. Rienacker, R. Beckmann, M. Wagner, J. Silny, and ¨ J. Pesch, Inverse localization of electric dipole current sources in finite element models of the human head, Electroencephalography and Clinical Neurophysiology, 102 (1997), pp. 267–278.
C. H. Wolters, H. Kostler, C. M ¨ oller, J. H ¨ ardtlein, and A. Anwander ¨ , Numerical approaches for dipole modeling in finite element method based source analysis., International Congress Series, 1300 (June 2007), pp. 189–192. ISBN-13:978-0-444-52885-8, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ics.2007.02.014.
J. Vorwerk, M. Clerc, M. Burger, and C. H. Wolters, Comparison of boundary element and finite element approaches to the EEG forward problem., Biomedizinische Technik. Biomedical engineering, 57 (2012).

or http://www.sci.utah.edu/~wolters/PaperWolters/2016/Vorwerk_Dissertation_2016.pdf <http://www.sci.utah.edu/~wolters/PaperWolters/2016/Vorwerk_Dissertation_2016.pdf> where you can also find a basic explanation of the FieldTrip-SimBio pipeline.

I hope this helps.

Best,
	Johannes