[FieldTrip] mtmfft vs. mtmconvol

Pomper, Ulrich u.pomper at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Aug 5 18:25:34 CEST 2016

Dear all,

I have a question regarding different results I get from spectral analysis using mtmfft versus mtmconvol.

In short, the spectral power across frequencies is very similar for both methods, but for some reason my results are an order of magnitude larger when using mtmconvol. In other words, the power spectral density plots for both methods are highly overlapping, but only after I multiply the results of mtmfft by 10.

Is there any evident reason for this? Are the two methods just outputting different units/ scales?

(I ran both using almost identical settings. For mtmconvol I used a single timepoint at the center of my data period, with a taper length identical to the length of the data period used in mtmfft. All other parameters are the same).

Cheers,

Ulrich