[FieldTrip] transformation matrix

Jörn M. Horschig jorn at artinis.com
Tue Apr 26 09:26:25 CEST 2016

Hi Maris,

The transformation matrix contains the rotation, scaling (so to say, the upper-left 3x3 matrix) and other components, e.g. a translational component (the 4th column). You can think of the fourth row as a sort of a mathematical trick to end up with a square matrix, making a lot of operations easier and computationally more efficient. This 4x4 transformation matrix is actually called a projection matrix (widely used in 3D programming), and there the 4th row actually plays a big role in perspective mapping (e.g. being able to make objects farther away seem smaller).

This explanation should be roughly correct - I am not a mathematician though ;)

Best regards,

Jörn

--
Jörn M. Horschig, PhD, Software Engineer
 <http://www.artinis.com/> Artinis Medical Systems  |  +31 481 350 980