[FieldTrip] Interpolate, normalise and sourcegrandaverage with MNE

Schoffelen, J.M. (Jan Mathijs) jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Wed Sep 30 09:33:03 CEST 2015

Hi Sara,

I think that in this case there is no absolutely ‘correct’ approach, although some approaches may make more sense than others.
At this point in time it is indeed not well documented how to proceed from individual subject results source-reconstructed onto an individual cortically constrained mesh to a group analysis.
In the past, we have been working with a procedure where the surface data were interpolated onto a 3D-grid so that we could use volumetric normalization techniques in order to get the subjects into a common space to allow for group statistics. So, here the order of the steps would be to call ft_sourceinterpolate, followed by ft_volumenormalise, or to interpolate the functional data directly onto a MNI-warped grid (http://www.fieldtriptoolbox.org/example/create_single-subject_grids_in_individual_head_space_that_are_all_aligned_in_mni_space).
In the code you pasted in your e-mail message, there is also reference to ft_volumerealign, but I am not sure I understand why this is a required step at this point in the pipeline.

All the above being said, nowadays I would advocate a slightly different approach, which bypasses the volumetric interpolation, where per subject I would use cortical meshes that is surface-registered to a template mesh, which as a consequence allows for direct comparison of source locations across subjects. The way to achieve this would be to post-process the surfaces that come out of the freesurfer pipeline according to the recipe described on http://brainvis.wustl.edu/wiki/index.php/Caret:Operations/Freesurfer_to_fs_LR. After this registration step, the low-resolution (i.e. in this case the 8196-vertex) meshes can be created.

Best wishes,
Jan-Mathijs

Jan-Mathijs Schoffelen, MD PhD, Senior researcher

Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics
Donders Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging

E-mail: j.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Telephone: +31-24-3614793

http://www.fieldtriptoolbox.org
http://www.hettaligebrein.nl