[FieldTrip] Filter Order for High Pass Filter

Max Cantor Max.Cantor at Colorado.EDU
Sat Sep 26 00:17:07 CEST 2015

Hi all,

I used to be mcantor at umich.edu, now I'm max.cantor at colorado.edu, but I'm
the same Max Cantor as before :).

That out of the way, here is my question:

In the these threads -
http://mailman.science.ru.nl/pipermail/fieldtrip/2014-August/008308.html
http://mailman.science.ru.nl/pipermail/fieldtrip/2012-June/005351.html

The issue of fieldtrip's ability to do low valued high pass filters is
addressed, and I was successfully able to implement a a bpfilter of [0.1
50] hz using a filter order of 1, and I compared it to my new lab's eeglab
pipeline's ERP for a given subject and was able to get a more or less
identical output. However, it's been awhile since I've read some of the
nitty gritty signal processing, and I forget what exactly this means or
what the significance of it is.

Even though I was able to more or less replicate their current pipeline,
I'd still like to understand what exactly setting the filter order is doing
and what the significance of it may be. If anyone can explain this to me or
set me in the right direction (a suggested chapter in Steve Luck or Matt
Cohen's book, or a good article, for instance), I would greatly appreciate
it.

Thanks,

Max

--