[FieldTrip] questions about artifact rejection tool and filtering after ICA

Marta Calbi calbimarta at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 16:08:02 CEST 2015

Hi,

We have a question about the layout of artifact rejection tool.

We have EEG raw data file of each subject, recorded and filtered with
NetStation, and exported to Simple Binary Format.

As first step, in our preprocessing script, we define which are the
different experimental conditions and then we use ft_trialfun_general to
compute our epochs of interest.

After defining layout and neighbours, we proceed with artifact rejection
with ft_rejectartifact and we can select artifact for each epoch.

How could we have on the x-axis the absolute time of the recording and  not
only the lenght of the single epoch (in order to have a better look to some
details)?

And then we have a question about filtering after ICA.

We intend to do ERP and Alpha-oscillations analyses, and for this reason we
need also a 1-30Hz filter (normally used for rhythms).

We’re thinking about running ICA on our dataset filtered with 0.1Hz
high-pass filter, and after that filter the data with 1-30Hz,

but we know that Fieldtrip after preprocessing gives us epoched data, that
is not subject to be filtered, so how do you suggest to proceed?

Thanks!

--
Calbi Marta, Ph.D student
Dipartimento di Neuroscienze - Sezione di Fisiologia