[FieldTrip] ICA - not applying the backprojection matrix to the sensor description - Why?

Grazia Di Pisa g.dipisa at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 16:52:33 CEST 2015

Dear all,

I’m currently trying to do ICA to remove eye blinks from my EEG data.
I've basically used the script on the tutorial, and even thou it says ‘removing 4 components’ then it gives me 'not applying the backprojection matrix to the sensor description’.

	<<	detected 0 visual
                removing 4 components
		keeping 57 components
		processing trials
		processing trial 166 from 166

		not applying the backprojection matrix to the sensor description
		the call to "ft_rejectcomponent" took 1 seconds and required the additional allocation of an estimated 245 MB	>>

Shouldn’t it be 'applying the backprojection matrix to the sensor description’ in order to be effective?
If someone could give some explanation, it would be very much appreciated!

This is the script I used:

    cfg        = [];
    cfg.method = 'runica';
    cfg.channel = 'EEG';

    comp = ft_componentanalysis(cfg, data);

%% Identify the artifacts:

    figure
    cfg = [];
    cfg.component = 1:30;
    cfg.layout    = 'biosemi64.lay';
    cfg.comment   = 'no';

    ft_topoplotIC(cfg, comp)

%% Further inspection of the time course of the components:

    cfg = [];
    cfg.layout = 'biosemi64.lay';
    cfg.viewmode = 'component';

    ft_databrowser(cfg, comp);

 %% Remove components and backprojecting:

    cfg = [];
    cfg.component = [2 53 54 61]; % to be removed component(s)
    cfg.demean   = 'no';
    cfg.updatesens = 'yes';

    data.ica.analysed = ft_rejectcomponent(cfg, comp);

best,
~ grazia