[FieldTrip] many ICA components looking the same

Vitória Piai v.piai.research at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 04:44:26 CET 2015

Hi everyone,

I'm running ICA (cfg.method = 'runica') on CTF data with 274 sensors. I
was restricting my decomposition to 80 components at first, and it
worked well for all previous patients.
Somehow, for this particular patient, many of the components have
similar topography (I'm only showing till 42 below but the similarity
continues for more components). Has anyone ever seen this before?
If I look at the time course of these components, not all of them are
clear eye-movements, but according to the topography, you'd think they are.
Any thoughts, like either changing the method or rejecting only those
components whose time courses clearly indicate eye movements and keep
other components despite their topographies?

Thanks,
Vitoria