[FieldTrip] Fwd: EEG electrode coordinate system transformation

Paolo Belardinelli paolo.belardinelli at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 16:55:28 CEST 2015

Dear all,

we are recording EEG electrode positions using the LOCALITE TMS navigator acquisition software. We dispose over MRI data in DICOM format.
The electrode positions are stored in the (LPS) coordinate system. Unity measures are mm.
We load the electrode positions in Fieldtrip by means of ft_read_sens. We use the elec structure to prepare the layout with ft_prepare_layout. Attached are the obtained layout (localite_layout) and the layout obtained using standard electrode positions (standard_layout).
Appearantly, besides an inversion of both X and Y axes, we have to deal with a Z offset we don't know how to exactly calculate ( a simple inversion of axes does not provide correct results, see attached inverted_localite_layout).
Is there a way to address this issue in Fieldtrip or with some mathematical manipulation?

Thank you in advance,

Paolo

Paolo Belardinelli, PhD
Neurology Department