[FieldTrip] calculating behavioural-power correlation -- follow-up questions

Arjen Stolk a.stolk8 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 00:33:13 CEST 2015

Thanks for clarifying, Xiaoming.

It seems indeed that a systematic offset (in averages) across the two
sample populations biases the randomization distribution. I'd need to sort
this out, but schematically would expect it to look as follow:

normal:
~1000 ~1000 ~1000 ~1000
~1       ~1       ~1       ~1
corr =  ~0

post shuffling:
~1000 ~1       ~1000 ~1000
~1       ~1000 ~1       ~1
corr =  negative, that is an anti-correlation

This implies a bootstrapping approach is more correct for testing for
statistical significance of a correlation (in case of a systematic offset
across conditions).

Yours,
Arjen

> [...]
> think you could use this example code to replicate the situation you are
> experiencing?
>
> Yours,
> Arjen
>
> % simulate simple multiple subjects timelock structures
>
> data_brain = [];
>
> data_behav = [];
>
> for j=1:10
>
> data_brain{j}.avg = j; % increasing
>
> data_brain{j}.dimord = 'chan_time';
>
> data_brain{j}.time = 1;
>
> data_brain{j}.label = {'1'};
>
> data_behav{j} = data_brain{j};
>
> data_behav{j}.avg = data_brain{j}.avg*-1000+50; % add scaling difference
>
> end
>
> % compute statistics with correlationT
>
> cfg = [];
>
> cfg.method = 'montecarlo';
>
> cfg.statistic = 'ft_statfun_correlationT';
>
> cfg.numrandomization = 100;
>
> n1 = 10; % n1 is the number of subjects
>
> design = zeros(2, n1 * 2);
>
> design(1,1:n1) = 1;
>
> design(1,(n1 + 1):(n1 * 2)) = 2;
>
> design(2, :) = [1:n1 1:n1];
>
> cfg.design = design;
>
> cfg.ivar = 1;
>
> cfg.uvar = 2;
>
> stat = ft_timelockstatistics(cfg, data_brain{:}, data_behav{:});
>
> assert(isequal(stat.rho, -1));

>> Hi Xiaoming, hi Arjen,
>>
>> I've been encountering the same problem. I believe Xiaoming is right when
>> he points out that the permutaion step shuffles data across conditions and
>> that this introduces a negative bias in the distribution. I found the same
>> thing when I correlated RT data with TFRs (absolute power). My distribution
>> was shifted strongly to the left and, thus, not a single negative cluster
>> was significant, but every positive one was.
>>
>> Xiaomings explanation made a lot of sense to me when I thought about it
>> graphically: Imagine correlating two data vectors, one (x) ranging between
>> .5 and1, the other (y) between 50 and and 100. When plotting this, one gets
>> a cloud of dots on the upper left corner of the diagram. When you then
>> switch the variable assignment of half of the data points (which is what
>> the permutation step seems to do), these dots will now be be shifted to the
>> lower right corner of the diagram. So no matter what the correlation in the
>> original data, chances are that (given different scaling) after permutaion,
>> you get a negative correlation.
>>
>> I am not 100% sure about this, so please let me know if I made a mistake.
>>
>> What I tried instead of the 'ft_statfun_correlationT' was using a custom
>> made statfun in which I pass the RTs via the design matrix. With this, my
>> results looked much better. I am not sure, but I guess this is because
>> there is no shuffling between the two variables in this case.
>>
>> I would really like to know, what is the right way of doing this using
>> just the FieldTrip functions. Is there a way to permute data within
>> variables? I tried cfg.resampling = 'bootstrap', but this is not a

>>> prob: [30x50 double]
>>> posclusters: []
>>> posclusterslabelmat: [30x50 double]
>>> posdistribution: [1x1000 double]