[FieldTrip] Number of shells in OpenMEEG

Maité Crespo García maity_winky at yahoo.es
Thu Nov 19 17:58:21 CET 2015

Dear Martijn,
the error happens when you don't specify the conductivity values.
Best,Maite

    El Jueves 19 de noviembre de 2015 14:07, Sarang S. Dalal <sarang.dalal at uni-konstanz.de> escribió:

 Dear Martijn,

Our group routinely computes 4-layer BEM models, but we have written a new pipeline (already implemented within the official FieldTrip pipeline) to effectively replace ft_headmodel_openmeeg. Unfortunately we still need to complete the documentation, but below is an example of how to call it.

BTW, I am currently comparing the performance between 4-layer and 3-layer BEM for my own MEG data. It seems that 4-layer (i.e., with CSF) might increase the chances of spurious voxels near the brain surface; however, this could be due to imperfect segmentation or sharp edges still present in my surfaces.

I hope this helps,
Sarang

subjId = 'test';
vol.type = 'openmeeg';
vol.basefile = subjId;
vol.path = ['./' subjId '/hm/openmeeg_out']; % following files in here can be reused across sessions for same participant: hm.bin, hm_inv.bin, dsm.bin
vol.bnd = bnd;
switch(length(bnd)) % the number of layers in “bnd” determines whether to use 4-layer or 3-layer
    case 4
        vol.cond = [0.33 0.0041 1.79 0.33]; % scalp skull CSF brain
    case 3
        vol.cond = [0.33 0.0041 0.33]; % scalp skull brain (no CSF)
end
vol = ft_convert_units(vol,'mm'); % we do everything in MRI mm space

% we prefer to do all computations in MRI mm space, so sensor positions need to be transformed
grad = data.grad;
grad_mm = ft_convert_units(grad,'mm');
grad_mri = ft_transform_sens(coreg.meg2mri_tfm, grad_mm); % transforms the grad coordinates to mri coordinates % this is custom for our group; you may have an alternative way

cfg = [];
cfg.grad                  = grad_mri;
cfg.grid.warpmni  = 'yes';
load standard_sourcemodel3d10mm; % loads in sourcemodel (i.e., MNI voxel grid)
sourcemodel  = ft_convert_units(sourcemodel,'mm');
cfg.grid.template = sourcemodel;
cfg.grid.nonlinear = 'yes'; % use non-linear normalization
cfg.mri            = mri;
cfg.unit = 'mm',

cfg.vol                  = vol;
cfg.channel = channel;
cfg.reducerank = 'no';
cfg.grid.resolution = 5; % in mm
grid              = ft_prepare_leadfield(cfg);