[FieldTrip] why "fixedori"=yes?

Maris Skujevskis icelandhouse at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 16:19:27 CET 2015

Dear Fieldtrip users,

I am currently working on beamformer source estimation using EEG data.

My question is about the meaning behind cfg.fixedori in ft_sourceanalysis.

As one of the fieldtrip tutorials explains, cfg.fixedori = 'yes' leads to
only the largest of the three dipole directions per spatial filter being
kept, the other two get discarded.

My specific questions are:
(1) why should this be done?
(2) is this an MEG-specific setting due to the fact that MEG is somewhat
blind to particular dipole orientations? (in which case cfg.fixedori = 'no'
for EEG data?)
(3) does anyone have an article in mind where the need for this processing
step is explained/illustrated?

Best wishes,
Maris