[FieldTrip] statistical reporting cluster based permutation

Stephen Politzer-Ahles stephen.politzer-ahles at ling-phil.ox.ac.uk
Sun Nov 15 12:15:48 CET 2015

Hello Kaelasha,

There isn't really any one absolute right way to report these; my best
suggestion is to look in the literature for other papers in your area that
have reported cluster based stats, and see how they do it. In my experience
it's usually sufficient to report the p-value, polarity, and approximate
spatiotemporal distribution of an effect (e.g., "there was a significant
positive effect (p=.042) based on a cluster of fronto-central electrodes
lasting from x ms to y ms..."), as is done in this paper:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/38112722_Reasoning_with_Exceptions_An_Event-related_Brain_Potentials_Study
.
I also find raster plots to be a nice way to visualize the spatiotemporal
extent of a cluster; see, e.g., this paper:
http://joshuakhartshorne.org/papers/HartshorneSnedekerLiemAzarKim.pdf

See also
http://www.fieldtriptoolbox.org/faq/how_not_to_interpret_results_from_a_cluster-based_permutation_test
for some suggestions about wording and interpretation of the effects.

Best,
Steve

---
Stephen Politzer-Ahles
University of Oxford
Language and Brain Lab, Faculty of Linguistics, Phonetics & Philology
http://users.ox.ac.uk/~cpgl0080/
Message: 1