[FieldTrip] Combineplanars and timelockstatistics

Sara Aurtenetxe s.aurtenetxe at bcbl.eu
Thu Nov 5 15:39:14 CET 2015

Dear Thomas,

Thanks a lot for your answer.
It makes sense that the non-combined planars may not be ideally suited for sensor-level statistics if sources are not equally
measured by the same planar gradiometers across participants.
Similarly, I can see how dipoles with changing orientation could produce fields with opposite polarity, that is one with a negative peak and another one with a positive peak.
In the non-combined case, these would cancel out to zero in the average, whereas in the combined case both components would sum up to a non-zero average.

In fact, by doing some further research I found a relevant post by Eric Marris and Michael Wibral on this topic:
http://mailman.science.ru.nl/pipermail/fieldtrip/2010-March/002668.html

I now clearly see your point about the combined planar gradients providing a better basis for comparisons across participants, especially for the scenario where
the dipole would be shifting its orientation or position relative to the helmet across participants.

I also imagine that source analysis would provide important additional information here, as it would allow to test the hypothesis that the fields have similar sources across participants.

The question that remains to me, however, is whether it is acceptable to ignore the shifts in the dipole orientation from a neurophysiological perspective.
Is it legitimate to assume that although the dipoles presumably have the same source but different orientations, they reflect the same process if their orientations differ?
Some biophysical insights on this would be very helpful I guess.

Looking forward to receive further advice on this.
Thanks!

Sara

Sara Aurtenetxe