[FieldTrip] channel order changes after ft_channelrepair

Jörn M. Horschig jorn at artinis.com
Tue Mar 10 15:16:30 CET 2015

Hi Fred,

back then when I implemented different options for channel interpolation, we decided that there is no "natural" order of channels in any sense. For MEG systems it might seem like that, because afaik there is a single acquisition software per system, which is always returning channels in the same order. However, this order is arbitrary and can be other rationales equally valid than the one used by the acquisition software.

For your specific case, I imagine that a sensor is broken and thus turned off: it will not be in the list of channels anymore. FieldTrip does not know where the 'natural' position of that channel is, as FT is not maintaining fixed channel lists. But this shouldn't be a problem anyhow, as channel labels can be easily matched. If I recall the latest developments correctly,  by now all FieldTrip functions are taking care of the channel order - even when computing leadfields ;)

If you do not like this due to aesthetical reasons or because you want to have the channel order being consistent across subjects, you can simply reorder them manually. As said, FieldTrip does not care about the order. Just be sure that if you are reordering the label-field, you also need to reorder the channel dimension(s) of all data.

If you encounter any problems with this concatenation, feel free send out notification.

Best,
Jörn

PS: if the channel is already in your data and you want to just repair it because it suffers from a lot of artifacts, you could try using cfg.badchannel instead of cfg.missingchannel. If I recall correctly, missing channels are always concatenated, bad channels are kept in order if already present. But it's been a while, so I am not sure and right now, too lazy to check the code ;)

--

Jörn M. Horschig, Software Engineer
Artinis Medical Systems  |  +31 481 350 980