[FieldTrip] Cluster-based permutation tests on time-frequency and size of conditions

David Groppe david.m.groppe at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 04:02:57 CET 2015

Hi Martina,
   Balanced sample sizes are typically recommended for conventional
parametric independent samples tests (e.g., t-tests, ANOVAs) because it
makes the tests less sensitive to differences in variation between the
populations being compared. If the populations being compared differ in
variance, having more observations from the population with less
variability will make these tests overly permissive (i.e., the true false
positive rate will be greater than your nominal alpha level). If you have
more observations from the population with greater variability, the tests
become overly conservative.
   A few years ago, my colleagues and I simulated some EEG data and found
that permutation tests exhibit a qualitatively similar sensitivity to
differences in variance between populations (see below). If you're
concerned about such a difference in your data you could do as has already
been suggested and use a subset of data so that the number of observations
between samples is the same. Alternatively you could use a permutation test
based on variants of the t-statistic that are less sensitive to differences
in variance. In our paper below, we investigated two variants, Welch's t
and t_dif. Welch's t proved a bit less sensitive to differences in variance
and was only slightly less powerful than the conventional t-statistic.
t_dif was markedly insensitive to differences in variance but was
significantly less powerful. However, I would guess that using t_dif or
Welch's t are likely more powerful than discarding trials (though we didn't
investigate that option in the paper).
      cheers,
         -David

Groppe, D.M., Urbach, T.P., & Kutas, M. (2011) *Mass univariate analysis of
event-related brain potentials/fields II: Simulation studies*.
*Psychophysiology*, 48(12) pp. 1726-1737, DOI:
10.1111/j.1469-8986.2011.01272.x.
www.cogsci.ucsd.edu/~dgroppe/PUBLICATIONS/mass_uni_preprint2.pdf