[FieldTrip] When/how do you bring together data from multiple blocks within a single participant.

Hanson, Gavin Keith ghanson0 at ku.edu
Thu Mar 5 05:01:45 CET 2015

This is undoubted a straightforward issue, but I can’t seem to find any reference to it in the fieldtrip documentation.
Our scanning protocol for each participant involved 6 runs of around 8 minutes in length, each of which is saved as a separate CTF dataset, and each of which begins with head localization (no continuous head position data).

My main question is, when do I bring these blocks together into a single participant dataset?

Do I just clean the data, then append it all together before launching in on the time-frequency analysis? Do I perform a time-frequency analysis within each block and then bring it all together later? How do I “align" my data to a specific head position that can hold for all blocks within a participant prior to topographical plotting / source reconstruction?
If anyone can point me to where these answers may be, I would be very grateful, but I can’t find an answer to this anywhere.

If it matters, our ultimate goal is to use beamforming to localize task-associated oscillatory responses during a cognitive task.

Thanks in advance for your help, and let me know if you require further information.

Gavin Hanson, B.S.
Research Assistant
Department of Psychology
University of Kansas