[FieldTrip] Tutorial "Preprocessing and analysis of spike and local field potential data": Different STAs

Hähnke, Daniel daniel.haehnke at lrz.tu-muenchen.de
Fri Jun 19 13:35:47 CEST 2015

Dear community,

I've been learning how to use FieldTrip by the series of tutorials on
the website.

While doing the last tutorial "Preprocessing and analysis of spike and
local field potential data" I found that my output of spike triggered
averages (STAs) isn't the same as in the tutorials.

The plots of staPost and staPre are exactly the same for me and are
identical to the first STA plot (staPost) in the tutorial. The only
difference between the two STAs is cfg.latency, which is [0.3 10] for
staPost and [-2.75 0]. If I omit cfg.latency I get the exact same values
when running ft_spiketriggeredaverage().

This actually does make sense because the STA just averages LFPs
'around' spikes, so there is no need to specify a latency.

I'm still curious, though, what was computed to obtain the plot for
staPre in the tutorial. Could anyone clarify that?

Kind regards,

Daniel Hähnke

--
Technische Universität München