[FieldTrip] No backprojection following ICA

Schoffelen, J.M. (Jan Mathijs) jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Fri Jun 12 20:35:04 CEST 2015

Dear Peter,

Depending on what you want to do, you need or need not worry about the warning you get. Since you mention that in first instance you want to look at connectivity at the channel level, I think you are safe. The warning pertains to the application of the spatial transformation to the low-level description of the channel array (the elec-structure), and not to the actual data. In short, the back projection is applied to the data itself, but there is insufficient information available in the sensor description to be able to apply the same projection to this as well. The latter would be needed if at a later stage you want to do source reconstruction, for which you need to compute leadfield matrices, where the forward model should include information about the spatial topographies that have been removed.