[FieldTrip] Granger Causality Analysis after Beamformer

Helen Wieffering helen.wieffering at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 22:51:42 CEST 2015

Hi Jan-Mathis,

Thanks for your quick reply - this is very helpful. In fact, we've already
completed coherence measures on this data and pre-defined potential areas
of interest based on published literature - but we wanted to take that
further by looking into granger causality.

I want to follow up on the first method you described (applying
ft_mvaranalysis to source-level data). We would like to limit our
connectivity analysis to the theta-band frequencies, which was why DICS
Beamformer was appealing. However, if I'm understanding correctly, the LCMV
filter is necessary for our connectivity analysis since granger causality
is computed in the time domain. I'm wondering, if we go back and compute
LCMV source reconstruction instead, will it be possible to later compute
granger causality for the specific frequencies we're studying?

Thanks again!

Helen Wieffering
Erika Nyhus
Dept. of Neuroscience