[FieldTrip] Advice on using LCMV beamformer

Stephen Whitmarsh stephen.whitmarsh at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 11:06:53 CEST 2015

Hi everyone. Thanks so much for your responses so far. They are very
clarifying.

Anyway, after browsing the mailinglist archive I found two related Q&A:

This clears up the lack of differences, because the covariance is
calculated during ft_timelockanalysis, and changing the latency/timewindow
later has no effect:
http://mailman.science.ru.nl/pipermail/fieldtrip/2009-February/001965.html

When it comes to the common filter etc. this conversation was somewhat
helpful, at least how to compute it:
http://mailman.science.ru.nl/pipermail/fieldtrip/2013-January/006120.html

Although these problems are solved now and I have "results", they are still
confusing. They do not look totally out-there, but they are certainly not
unequivocal. After trying out different options I see that the covariance
timewindow of the common filter makes a big difference. It seems I get the
best (or at least better) results when this is restricted to the
post-stimulus window in the time-period of component I am interested in.
See attachment - blue brains.

However, before I go any further I am somewhat on my toes because
projecting the power of the active or baseline period seems strangely
shifted to the anterior. See attachment - red brains.

Your comments have been very helpful thinking about the common filter. I
actually now wonder whether it is a good idea at all in my case. One other
thing  could try is to somehow calculate a common filter by concatenating
the baseline period and the active component period before doing
calculating the covariance.
Or, alternatively, I could calculate the common filter over the whole
post-stimulus interval (of say 300ms instead of 30ms of my component of
interest), similarly as Johanna has done here:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2899153/#R28

Best and thanks,
Stephen

p.s. I attached my script.