[FieldTrip] across-subject analysis of source space data in a 2D triangulated cortical mesh

Brian Maniscalco bmaniscalco at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 21:31:55 CEST 2015

Thanks Jan-Mathijs and Marieke for your input, as well as Tom Holroyd and
Ziad Saad from NIH for giving me additional pointers. Here is the solution
I've struck upon.

In short, I use one line of SUMA code to register the cortical surfaces as
described here:

http://afni.nimh.nih.gov/pub/dist/doc/htmldoc/tutorials/StandardMeshes/StandardMeshes.html

In a little more detail:

I follow the MNE processing pipeline as described on

http://www.fieldtriptoolbox.org/tutorial/minimumnormestimate

up to the step that generates an individual cortical mesh after
downsampling in the MNE suite. Following the folder and file naming
conventions in the tutorial, this mesh for an individual subject whose
identifier is e.g. "Subject01" is stored in a file

<Subject directory>/Subject01/bem/Subject01-oct-6-src.fif

>From here I cd to <Subject directory> and execute

@SUMA_Make_Spec_FS -fspath Subject01/bem -sid Subject01 -ld 20 -GIFTI

where -fspath specifies the location of the cortical surface to be
registered, -sid denotes the subject identifier, -GIFTI denotes the output
file format, and -ld 20 specifies a "linear depth" parameter that
determines the number of vertices contained in each hemisphere of the
registered cortical mesh. According to the help functionality of the AFNI
function CreateIcosahedron, the number of vertices in the registered mesh
is determined by Nvert = 2+10*ld^2. In this case setting ld=20 yields 4002
vertices in each hemisphere or 8004 in total, which is a close match to the
8196 vertices contained in the Subject01-oct-6-src.fif file in my
processing pipeline.

Executing this code creates a folder <Subject
directory>/Subject01/bem/SUMA/ which contains the output. The registered
surfaces are contained in files with the "std.ld" prefix, where ld is equal
to the ld value specified in the @SUMA_Make_Spec_FS function call. In my
case I use the output files std.20.lh.white.gii and std.20.rh.white.gii, by
analogy with the MNE tutorial which uses the lh.white and rh.white outputs
from Freesurfer.

>From here the workflow is identical to that described in the MNE tutorial,
except

sourcespace = ft_read_headshape('Subject01-oct-6-src.fif', 'format',
'mne_source');

is now replaced by

sourcespace = ft_read_headshape({'std.20.lh.white.gii',
'std.20.rh.white.gii' }, 'format', 'gifti');

The cortical surface contained in "sourcespace" for this subject looks
identical to the original surface, but the locations of the vertices have
been re-defined such that, across subjects, each vertex corresponds to the
same cortical location. Due to this registration, normal across-subject
statistical analyses can be conducted on each vertex.

Brian