[FieldTrip] Low-pass frequency when downsampling using ft_resampledata (Nieuwenhuijzen, M.E. van de (Marieke))

Eleanor Harding harding at cbs.mpg.de
Fri Jan 23 14:39:37 CET 2015

Hi Marieke,

A rule of thumb for downsampling is to low-pass filter at 1/3 of your desired sampling rate, so, for you that would be 100 Hz. But of course you shouldn't make the filter cutoff too close to what you are looking for in your data. Below is a helpful publication,

Widmann, A., Schröger, E., & Maess, B. (in press). Digital filter design for electrophysiological data - a practical approach. Journal of Neuroscience Methods.

Good luck,
Ellie Harding

Message: 5