[FieldTrip] Question about how to reduce the file size

Casper van Heck caspervanheck at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 17:02:54 CET 2015

Dear Emilie,

I'm using a Windows-based wreck with 8GB ram and 1.5GB files, which never
pops over an usage of 4GB, so I am a bit surprised that you're getting
issues with your data. Also; reducing the sampling rate that much should
reduce the memory footprint to something close to 400mb, at least, which to
my mind should not produce issues of any kind. Could you post a bit more of
your code?

I've been lowering the sampling rate too (5000 to 500), but I'm also
cutting the data into smaller pieces, based on markers, effectively
splitting the data into four parts, and throwing away more than
80%. Cutting the data into pieces can provide a workaround for memory
issues. Detail: while I do filter (and some other details) before the
resampling, and I'm only resampling due to time constraints, not crashing
behaviour.

Also check the memory tutorial: fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/tutorial/memory

Does this help?

Casper