[FieldTrip] Biosemi eventtype problem

Ricarda Braukmann r.braukmann at donders.ru.nl
Thu Jan 22 12:09:45 CET 2015

Hi Vitoria,

I had a problem with biosemi markers not being read in correctly by FT as
well.

First of all, if I remember correctly, using ft_read_event only worked for
me with .bdf files (and not .edf files).
Still even with the .bdf files, the numbers were not correct.
This was caused by the fact that the biosemi system always sent out two
markers to the EEG (one constant marker and one marker specific to stimulus
presentation).
FT for some reason did not recognize these markers as 2 (8bit) markers but
created 1 16 bit marker from it.

Once I knew this it was easily solved, I just recoded the markers.
Not sure whether this is what is happening with your set-up as well (might
be different with newer ft versions), but maybe it helps.

In any case, I belief that the biosemi STATUS markers are indeed not
strings.

Best,
Ricarda