[FieldTrip] Realtime setup

Jörn M. Horschig jorn at artinis.com
Mon Jan 19 09:59:48 CET 2015

Hi Luke,

nice to see that you are getting into the realtime business ;)

The software side of realtime analysis should be documented quite well, but a bit scattered across the FT page (just in case, e.g. http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/development/realtime/ctf or http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/development/realtime). As you said, the hardware setup itself is not hugely discussed, but that is because there is not much to discuss. The FT buffer is implement by a shared memory segment (i.e. some reserved address in memory that is accessible) and communication between computers takes place via a TCP socket. So, hardware requirements are memory and a network card ;) As long as your computers are not too ancient, there should also be no problem in terms of computational requirements. Our realtime computer is about 3 years old, our acquisition computer at least 4 (but I guess more in the range of 6-8 yrs). I am not working at the Donders anymore, so I cannot check the exact specs. Are you facing any particular problems? Or just asking before setting anything up?

In the last years, we wrote several papers about how we use the realtime implementation at the Donders, maybe they help as well in understanding our hardware setup:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1053811914010064

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs10548-014-0401-7

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1053811912011597

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask again.

Best,

Jörn

--

Jörn M. Horschig, Software Engineer