[FieldTrip] MaxFilter and ICA preprocessing

Frédéric Roux f.roux at bcbl.eu
Thu Jan 15 18:00:56 CET 2015

Problem solved.

I am posting below the solution with what I think may be
the explanation, in case someone else might experience a similar
issue.

cfg = [];
cfg.method = 'runica';
cfg.numcomponent = rank(meg_data.trial{1}*meg_data.trial{1}');

ic_data = ft_componentanalysis(cfg,meg_data);

Most likely, this reduces the complexity of the solution the algorithm
searches for. Insead of searching for n1 = length(meg_data.label) ICs
the algorithm searches for n2 = rank(meg_data.trial{1}*meg_data.trial{1}') ICs.
The slowing down of the ICA arises because the data has rank n2 and not n1, but
still the algorithm tries to search for a solution satisfying rank = n1.

Remains the question why cfg.runica.pca =  rank(meg_data.trial{1}*meg_data.trial{1}') didn't
have any effect. Has this option become obsolete in more recent versions of FT?

Best,

Fred

Frédéric Roux