[FieldTrip] Extracting virtual EEG channel from a patch

Julian Keil julian.keil at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 17:57:10 CET 2015

Hi Parinaz,

> My problem is how I should use the output of volumelookup here for cfg.grid.xgrid, cfg.grid.ygrid and cfg.grid.zgrid.

You don't. You compute your virtual channels for a regular grid (something like -20:1:20 for x,y and z) and select the virtual channels in your ROI in a second step.
This might be a bit of an overkill, as you don't use most of your channels later on, but maybe you want to extend your analysis to other cortical areas - you never know.

Anyways, to be more clear: You compute your virtual electrodes on a predefined grid. To find your ROI, you use ft_volumelookup to get a binary matrix which tells you, which voxels of the standard MRI are in your ROI. Then you build a high-resolution grid based on the standard MRI (It's important to use one grid point per voxel). Using pythagoras, you can now find the closest high-resolution grid points for each of your virtual electrodes. As soon as you have these, you can see which of them have a value of 1 in your binary matrix of ft_volumelookup. Now you know which virtual electrodes are inside your ROI.

So for example, you have 2000 virtual electrodes on a -20:1:20 regular grid. You then compute a binary matrix and a high-resolution grid based on the standard MRI resulting in ~900000 grid points on a 91x109x91 grid. Using pythagoras, you find that grid point 6000 is closest to virtual electrode #1. Then you can see if element 6000 from your binary matrix is a 1. If so, your virtual electrode #1 is in your ROI, if not, your virtual electrode is not in your ROI.

> How I can find the atlas position to this maximum point in my code

Do you want to have the coordinates or the actual label? A while ago, I hacked the ft_sourceplot-function to give me the coordinate position as an output, but I can't find the code anymore. I'm sure you can edit the function to also output the label, as this has to be included as a text element somewhere in the function. But please be aware that editing the FT-functions can severely compromise the functionality.

Good luck,

Julian