[FieldTrip] Extracting virtual EEG channel from a patch

Julian Keil julian.keil at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 09:30:25 CET 2015

Hi Parinaz,

I'm not sure if I understood your question correctly.
Do you want to find the atlas label to a given virtual channel? Or do you want to compute a virtual channel on a given atlas label?

In the first case, you can simply interpolate your virtual EEG channels to the standard MRI and use source plot with an atlas to find the corresponding label.
In the second case, it's a tad more complicated, but here's how I do it:
1. Compute the virtual channels for all grid points in the cortex
2. If you have computed the virtual channels on an individual MRI, make sure that the positions correspond to the standard MRI (I think that's described in the source analysis-tutorial)
3. Build a high-resolution 3D-Grid on the standard MRI
4. Select all grid points from the grid of step 3 which belong to an atlas (see ft_volumelookup)
5. Use pythagoras to find the virtual channels from step 2 closest to the grid points from step 4.

I hope this helps, let me know otherwise.

Julian