[FieldTrip] Adjsting Emotive EEG data to FieldTrip data structure.

Senaka Amarakeerthi senakahks at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 12:51:47 CET 2015

Dear all,

I am new to FieldTrip and  trying to process offline Emotive Epoc EEG data.
The file I am trying to process is a single trial.

The code I tried is:

%% import data from testbench emotiv edf file

[hdr, data_eeg] = edfread('emotive.edf');

%% Rearrange data to match FieldTrip Format

% Remove unnecessary columns

data.trial = data_eeg([3:16,39], : );

% Cell-array containing strings, Nchan X 1

% Based on https://emotiv.com/forum/forum14/topic1817/messages/

data.label = {'AF3' 'F7' 'F3' 'FC5' 'T7' 'P7' 'O1' 'O2' 'P8' 'T8' 'FC6' 'F4'
'F8' 'AF4' 'MARKER'};

% Sampling frequency in Hz, single number

data.fsample = 128;

% Setting time

[x, filelength] = size(data.trial);

data.time{1} = [1:filelength]./data.fsample;

%% Using the rearranged data

% Set the trial column name and event value (what you enter to the last
column.

% here enter number 1 as the marker)

cfg.trialdef.eventtype = 'MARKER';

cfg.trialdef.eventvalue = 1;

cfg.trialdef.eventtype = '?';

ft_definetrial(cfg);

%% Preprocessing

 cfg = [];

 cfg.channel       = 'AF3';

 cfg.lpfilter      = 'yes';

 cfg.hpfilter      = 'yes';

 cfg.bsfilter      = 'yes';

 cfg.lpfreq        = 100;

 cfg.hpfreq        = 10;

 cfg.bsfreq        = [59 61];

 cfg.lpfiltord     = 4;

 cfg.hpfiltord     = 4;

 cfg.bpfiltord     = 4;

 cfg.lpfilttype    = 'but';

 cfg.hpfilttype    = 'but';

 ecog = ft_preprocessing(cfg,data);

When I run the script. I am getting the following error.

Error in ft_trialfun_general (line 78)
hdr = ft_read_header(cfg.headerfile, 'headerformat',
cfg.headerformat);

Do I need to set the header structure as well? Can somebody help me to get
this fixed. I am reading the documentation but it seems start is bit hard!

Appreciate your support