[FieldTrip] accommodating air pockets in FEM head model

K Jeffrey Eriksen eriksenj at ohsu.edu
Wed Dec 2 03:04:56 CET 2015

Hi,

I am reading the FieldTrip documentation on creating an FEM model and see that the following tissue types are output from the segmentation process:

Gray
White
Csf
Skull
Scalp

Q1: Since I am using a 256 channel EGI system with electrodes over the lower part of the head and face, I absolutely need to be able to include air voxels as well. Anyone have any knowledge of such a possibility?

Q2: Beyond that I would also like to include other tissue types such as fat, muscle, and eyeball (vitrious). I suppose I could find other segmentation software to simply create a more varied segmentation and insert it in the processing pipeline, but would like to know if that would mess anything up.

Q3: Next, can the FEM handle anisotropic conductivities for white matter and skull?

Q4: has anyone out there actually used the FDM model?

Thanks,
-Jeff Eriksen