[FieldTrip] Make a custom layout

Hanson fanshine at yeah.net
Wed Dec 23 09:55:28 CET 2015

Dear all,

I am new to FieldTrip and  trying to  do the time-frequency analysis of my eeg data , however it seems that no suitable layout. And I use ft_prepare_layout function to make a custom layout(electrode_position32.mat).
%% Time-frequency analysis
cfg              = [];
cfg.output       = 'pow';
cfg.channel      = 'EEG';
cfg.method       = 'mtmconvol';
cfg.taper        = 'hanning';
cfg.foi          = 2:2:30;
cfg.t_ftimwin    = ones(length(cfg.foi),1).*0.5;
cfg.toi          = -0.5:0.05:1.5;
TFRhann = ft_freqanalysis(cfg, data);

cfg = [];
cfg.showlabels   = 'yes';
cfg.layout       = 'electrode_position32.mat';
figure
ft_multiplotTFR(cfg, TFRhann);

cfg = [];
cfg.channel      = 'C4';
figure
ft_singleplotTFR(cfg, TFRhann);

cfg = [];
cfg.layout = 'electrode_position32.mat';
figure
ft_topoplotTFR(cfg, TFRhann);

When I run the script. I am getting the following error.

Warning: (one of the) axis is/are not evenly spaced, but plots are made as if axis are linear
> In ft_multiplotTFR at 405
  In TFanalysis_zhs_2 at 52
the call to "ft_multiplotTFR" took 0 seconds
the call to "ft_singleplotTFR" took 0 seconds
reading layout from file electrode_position32.mat
the call to "ft_prepare_layout" took 0 seconds
Warning: Some points fall outside the outline, please consider using another layout
> In ft_plot_topo at 171
  In fieldtrip\private\topoplot_common at 731
  In ft_topoplotTFR at 192
  In TFanalysis_zhs_2 at 62
Index exceeds matrix dimensions.

Error in ft_plot_topo (line 182)
    mask{i}(end+1, :) = mask{i}(1, :);                   % force them to be closed

Error in topoplot_common (line 731)
  ft_plot_topo(chanX,chanY,datavector,opt{:});

Error in ft_topoplotTFR (line 192)
[cfg] = topoplot_common(cfg, varargin{:});

Error in TFanalysis_zhs_2 (line 62)
ft_topoplotTFR(cfg, TFRhann);

Do you have any suggestion about it?
Thank you very much for your attention.