[FieldTrip] accommodating air pockets in FEM head model

Carsten Wolters carsten.wolters at uni-muenster.de
Wed Dec 2 08:53:17 CET 2015

Hi Jeff,

Q3:
yes, FEM can model anisotropy and white matter is anisotropic, but skull
is a three-layered-structure
consisting of spongiosa and compacta, see
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20690140

For Q4:
FEM allows geometry-adaptation, see
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17694865
As far as I know, modeling using irregular meshes might get difficult to
implement within an FDM framework.

For Q1 and Q2:
Mainly tissues between sources and electrodes are important to be
modeled (so white matter anisotropy
is only important for deeper sources) and FSL and freesurfer can do a
good job on segmentation.
Air-compartments can possibly best be modeled by hand-correction of the
FSL output.
Please see
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24671208
on how we solve forward modeling to be able to combine EEG and MEG.

More infos are available in the two following theses:
http://www.sci.utah.edu/~wolters/PaperWolters/2014/Lanfer_Dissertation_July2-2014.pdf
http://www.sci.utah.edu/~wolters/PaperWolters/2015/Umit_Aydin_Dissertation_2015.pdf

Best regards
      Carsten