[FieldTrip] Unit of simulated EEG using openMEEG

HINDRIKS, RIKKERT rikkert.hindriks at upf.edu
Wed Apr 8 11:20:46 CEST 2015

Hi Alex,

I see, thanks. I have specified the meshes in mm's so a unit dipole
moment is expressed in Amm right?
Thus a homogeneous dipole field with moment x Amm leads to scalp potentials
of 10^(-2)*L*x (where L
is the computed leadfield matrix).

The thing is that if I place a single dipole with moment Q = 10 nAm =
10^(-6) Amm (which is about the
required value to pick up a measurable MEG signal), this gives scalp
voltages LQ in the order of picoV
(at most something of the order 10^(-11) for appropriately placed dipoles)
while you would expect it to
be in the order of microV no?

Could it be that in the specification of the headmodel, I should use S/mm
instead of S/m for the conductivities?
(I use the "standard" values of 0.33 S/m , 0.0041 S/m, and 0.33 S/m for
brain, skull, and scalp, resp.)

Kind regards and thanks,
Rikkert