[FieldTrip] Using Akaike Information Criterion for order selection with ft_mvaranalysis

jan-mathijs schoffelen jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Mon Sep 29 12:18:20 CEST 2014

A determinant of 0 to me suggests that your data is rank deficient, which suggests the number of virtual channels is larger than the number of original observations.

On Sep 29, 2014, at 11:46 AM, Nitzan Uziely <linkgoron at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> Just to clarify the above, here is the code that I use to calculate the AIC:
> "source" is my inverse-solution after being partitioned into virtual channels using the AAL atlas.
>
> % mvar analysis.
>    cfg         = [];
>    cfg.order   = order;
>    cfg.toolbox = 'bsmart';
>     mdata       = ft_mvaranalysis(cfg, source);
>
>     % aic calculation: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2585694/
>     k = size(source.label,1);
>     p = cfg.order;
>     logv = log(det(mdata.noisecov));    % this gives me inf, as det(mdata.noisecov) is 0.
>
>     % look at source
>     nTotal = size(source.time,2)*length(source.time{1});
>     aic = -logv + 2*p*(k^2)/nTotal;
>     disp(strcat(['order:' num2str(order)  ', aic:',num2str(aic)]));
>
> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
> Best,
>
> Nitzan
>
> On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 9:24 PM, Nitzan Uziely <linkgoron at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My name is Nitzan Uziely, and I'm a student (under-grad) at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
>
> I'm using fieldtrip to process EEG signals at our lab, and I'm trying to run a PDC analysis on my data.
>
> I took the data, calculated the inverse-solution and segmented it into virtual channels using the AAL atlas.
>
> I'm trying to to calculate the correct order for the ft_mvaranalysis function.
> I've seen a previous question that went unanswered a few years ago about order selection (http://mailman.science.ru.nl/pipermail/fieldtrip/2011-June/003947.html).
>
> Following the above question, I searched how to calculate the Akaike Information Criterion (AIC) to calculate the correct model order. According to http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2585694/ I need to calculate the determinant of the noise covariance matrix, however the determinant (I've checked orders 1 to 10) is so small that matlab just rounds it to zero. This makes me feel that either I have a problem, I've misunderstood how to calculate AIC to select the correct model, or that AIC is not the correct way to go.
>
> So, my question is - does it seem that is something wrong with my data (which can be seen by the small determinant), am I misunderstanding the requirement of the determinant or is there a better way to select the order of the mvar model. (oh, I'm using mdcfg.toolbox = 'bsmart'; if it matters)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nitzan.

Jan-Mathijs Schoffelen, MD PhD

Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging,

Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics,
Nijmegen, The Netherlands

J.Schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Telephone: +31-24-3614793

http://www.hettaligebrein.nl