[FieldTrip] Where to add a trialfun?

Lam, Nietzsche n.lam at fcdonders.ru.nl
Sat Sep 27 11:05:40 CEST 2014

Hi Ana Laura,

In general, you need to determine which trial function (Trialfun) to use when using definetrial (see this tutorial: http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/tutorial/preprocessing  under "do the trial definition for the fully incongruent (FIC) condition).

Please try adding this: "cfg.trialfun = 'trialfun_bit2dec(cfg)". to your code before calling definetrial (see below).

  % TRIAL DEFINITION
    cfg=[];
    cfg.filename = ['my/folders/', subject, '.RAW'];
    cfg.headerfile = ['my/folders/', subject, '.RAW'];

    cfg.trialdef.eventtype    = 'STATUS';
    cfg.trialdef.eventvalue   = cgrmrk;
    cfg.trialdef.prestim      = 0.2;
    cfg.trialdef.poststim     = 1;
    cfg.trialdef.eventtype=?;
    cfg.trialfun              = 'trialfun_bit2dec(cfg)  %% trialfun definition
    cfg = definetrial(cfg);

As an addition note: based on your error message, it seemed that the problem was in the function trialfun_bit2dec. However, from the code you showed us, you haven't referenced/called this function. I was wondering if the code you provide corresponded to the code that created your error message?  I'm guessing you ran [trl] =trialfun_bit2dec(cfg) directly (i.e. not via definetrial). In which case, it was looking for cfg.trialdef.eventtype.  You can call trialfun_bit2dec as long as you have all the relevant information in the cfg (which is in the code you showed us).  Hope this helps.

Best,
Nietzsche