[FieldTrip] Using Akaike Information Criterion for order selection with ft_mvaranalysis

Nitzan Uziely linkgoron at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 11:46:38 CEST 2014

Hi again,

Just to clarify the above, here is the code that I use to calculate the AIC:
"source" is my inverse-solution after being partitioned into virtual
channels using the AAL atlas.

% mvar analysis.
   cfg         = [];
   cfg.order   = order;
   cfg.toolbox = 'bsmart';
    mdata       = ft_mvaranalysis(cfg, source);

    % aic calculation: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2585694/
    k = size(source.label,1);
    p = cfg.order;
    logv = log(det(mdata.noisecov));    % this gives me inf,
as det(mdata.noisecov) is 0.

    % look at source
    nTotal = size(source.time,2)*length(source.time{1});
    aic = -logv + 2*p*(k^2)/nTotal;
    disp(strcat(['order:' num2str(order)  ', aic:',num2str(aic)]));

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Best,

Nitzan