[FieldTrip] Taper Function MVAR Model Fit

Matt Gerhold matt.gerhold at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 12:52:50 CEST 2014

Hi,

I have a question(s) regarding the MVAR model fitting routine in FieldTrip.
I haven't had enough time outside of my current commitments to scan through
the MATLAB code when fitting the model. I hope to do so at some point.
Given my time constraints, I wonder if it will be possible for you to
answer one or two questions regarding the treatment of the data prior to
model fitting?

Is it necessary to apply a taper function such as a hamming window prior to
fitting the model? I've gone through a few papers and no authors have
explicitly mentioned it in the context of EEG and EMG/EEG MVAR modelling.
How does the FieldTrip routine execute in default mode with regards to a
taper function in the MVAR routine? What would you recommend as authors of
the code and as experienced practitioners of the method(s)?

Many Thanks,

Matthew