[FieldTrip] Reading in .bdf files

Matt Craddock matt.craddock at uni-leipzig.de
Tue Sep 23 17:12:14 CEST 2014

Hi Ricarda,

The EXG channels are for external electrodes - typically they are used
for things like eye movements (for example we always placed EXG1-4 at
points around the eyes) and additional reference points (e.g. mastoids,
earlobes). You'd need to check with whoever recorded the dataset to be
sure which channel is which.

I have not tried to read .bdfs using fieldtrip, as i usually do a lot of
pre-processing in eeglab and port over to fieldtrip later on, but
subtracting the mean of each channel (DC) as well as re-referencing may
help. BDFs have a very high dynamic range which can have some
unfortunate side effects at times:

http://sccn.ucsd.edu/pipermail/eeglablist/2008/002147.html
http://sccn.ucsd.edu/pipermail/eeglablist/2008/002229.html

Cheers,