[FieldTrip] timelockanalysis and beamformer

Tyler Grummett tyler.grummett at flinders.edu.au
Sat Sep 6 14:07:33 CEST 2014

?Hello fieldtrip,

I was just wondering when it is appropriate to use the configuration cfg.keeptrials = 'yes' in ft_timelockanalysis, and when it is appropriate to have it as 'no'.

I have continuous data of 30 seconds. However its separated into a 5, 6 and 19 second segments. So they arent event-related events.

At present I am not asking timelockanalysis to keep the trials, or ft_sourceanalysis  (LCMV beamformer) for that matter. Is this bad? Im worried about unstable spatial filters (if I calculate covariance matrices and spatial filters for each trial) and loss of phase (if I average the covariance matrices over trials and produce one spatial filter).

I noticed that in the tutorial connectivityextended that they never specify these things and therefore use the default, which is cfg.keeptrials = 'no' and they calculate . Is that my answer?

Tyler

Tyler Grummett ( BBSc, BSc(Hons I))
PhD Candidate
Brain Signals Laboratory