[FieldTrip] appending data from two recordings

Anne Urai anne.urai at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 11:39:14 CEST 2014

Hi Phyllis,

I have a similar situation - ft_databrowser after appending - and I solved the problem of not seeing events at the right times by manually rebuilding them. For artefact rejection I found it important to know when in the trial eg. blinks occurred. There is the (undocumented?) cfg.event input option, which I used in the following way

        % ARTIFICIALLY REBUILD EVENTS

        for t = 1:length(data.trial),

            % get the distance between each event and the start of the trial
            samples(t,1) = trl(t,2)-trl(t,1); %int1
            samples(t,2) = trl(t,5)-trl(t,1); %int2
            samples(t,3) = trl(t,8)-trl(t,1); %resp
            samples(t,4) = trl(t,10)-trl(t,1); %fb

            % add the length of this trial
            samples(t,:) = samples(t,:) + (12*600*t-1);
        end
        samples = reshape(samples', 1, numel(samples));

        % create events structure to feed into databrowser
        for i = 1:length(samples),
            e(i).type = 'x';
            e(i).sample = samples(i);
            e(i).value = [];
            e(i).offset = 0;
            e(i).duration = 1;
        end
        cfg.event = e;

        cfg = ft_databrowser(cfg, data);

in which the trl matrix I use has samples of events at column 2, 5, 8, and 10, and the first column has the start of the trial in samples. Also, each trial takes 12 seconds at sampling rate 600 Hz. For trials of unequal length, you need to do a bit better bookkeeping on the assumption that fieldtrip treats epoched data as continuous data from the same recording.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Anne

---
Anne E. Urai, MSc
PhD student | Institute for Neuro- and Pathophysiology | University Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf  | Hamburg, Germany | anneurai.wordpress.com