[FieldTrip] simultaneous artifact and ICA viewing in ft_databrowser

Stan van Pelt s.vanpelt at fcdonders.ru.nl
Mon Oct 6 09:16:45 CEST 2014

Dear fellow FieldTrippers,

For proper artifact removal, I would like to compare the (temporal)
correspondence between the ICA components of my (CTF MEG275) data and the
artifacts that I semi-automatically identified beforehand (eye blinks,
saccades, muscle tension). ft_databrowser in principle allows me to show
this, but I run into some problems that I think have to do with data
resampling. The code I use is:

% iii. plot the components for visual inspection and select bad components

cfg              = [];

cfg.component    = [1:10]; % components to be plotted

cfg.layout       = 'CTF275.lay'; % specify the layout file that should be
used for plotting

% add preveiously manually defined eog and muscle artifacts, to compare
with components

load artifact_eog_all

load artifact_muscle_all

cfg.artfctdef.eog.artifact=art_eog_all;

cfg.artfctdef.muscle.artifact=art_muscle_all;

% visual inspection

ft_databrowser(cfg, comp150);

The problem I have is that the artifacts are not shown at the right
moments in time during the experiment. The data that are ICA-ed are
resampled from 1200->150Hz, but I do not know how I can 'resample' the
artifact definitions, since they are defined in samples, not in time. If I
manually resample (by dividing the values by a factor 8), they are still
not displayed at the correct moments in time.

I have the impression that convert_event (fieltrip/private) could be of
use here, but I cannot figure it out correctly.

Best,

Stan

--

Stan van Pelt, PhD