[FieldTrip] ICA subspace reduction with PCA eigenvalues

Arnaud Delorme arno at cerco.ups-tlse.fr
Fri Nov 14 16:41:03 CET 2014

Hi Nehad,

This is Arno from UCSD (developer of EEGLAB, the software which popularized ICA).

All commercial software preprocess the data using PCA to reduce the dimensionality. This can not only bias ICA but also introduce artifacts in the data. ICA should only be done full rank if possible.

You might want to contact Stepehn Shall Jones (shall-jones at infoscience.otago.ac.nz) which student Carl Leichter has written a thesis on that subject "Eigenspecters: Information Misallocation in Lossy Principal Component Reductions of Magnetoencephalographic and Electoencephalographic Data". He shows which artifacts are introduced by doing PCA before ICA.

Cheers,

Arno