[FieldTrip] ft redefine trials: how to change trigger?

KatrinH Heimann katrinheimann at gmail.com
Tue May 27 23:02:41 CEST 2014

Hi! Guys, your help is so much appreciated!
So I try to be more clear!:
So, yeah, Max, you are right! At the end I would like to use two different
triggervalues.

If I would use twice ft_definetrial then it would look like this:

cfg                     = [];

cfg.dataset             = '1.raw';

cfg.trialfun            = 'ft_trialfun_general';

cfg.trialdef.eventtype  = 'trigger';

cfg.trialdef.eventvalue = 'stim'; % the value of the stimulus trigger for
the beginning of baseline

cfg.trialdef.prestim    = 0.5;  %the time of the fixation cross

cfg.trialdef.poststim   = 1.5; %the time of the baseline (plus 0.5 buffer)

cfg                = ft_redefinetrial(cfg);

This baselinedata I could easily baselinecorrect using 100 ms of the
fixationcrossperiod:

cfg.channel    = 'all';

cfg.preproc.demean = 'yes';

cfg.preproc.baselinewindow = [-0.1 0]

cfg.preproc.bpfilter = 'yes';

cfg.preproc.bpfreq = [6 32];

The stimulusdata would be defined using a trigger that corresponds to a
button press:

cfg                     = [];

cfg.dataset             = '1.raw';

cfg.trialfun            = 'ft_trialfun_general';

cfg.trialdef.eventtype  = 'trigger';

cfg.trialdef.eventvalue = 'resp'; % the value of the stimulus trigger for
the beginning of baseline

cfg.trialdef.prestim    = 0.5;  % 0.5 sec before button press

cfg.trialdef.poststim   = 1.5; % 1.5 sec after button press (time that I
wanna analyse)

cfg                = ft_redefinetrial(cfg);

However here I have the problem that I cannot correct with the same
baseline than before as the buttonpress is not always at the same time so I
don't know when the fixationcrossperiod is located...

So I thought I could first "cut" bigger pieces and then redefine trials by
cutting again (after the preprocessing), then with different eventvalues

But you say that is not possible?

Thanks a lot for your help!!!

Katrin