[FieldTrip] efficiently handling multiple events within a trial

Eelke Spaak eelke.spaak at donders.ru.nl
Mon May 19 09:20:26 CEST 2014

Hi Anne,

What I usually do is segment my data initially such that a "trial" in
the data structure really corresponds to a logical trial in the
experiment. So, in your case, it would contain the data for both
stimuli and the maintenance period.

I assume you are writing your own trialfun for this (if not, see
http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/example/making_your_own_trialfun_for_conditional_trial_definition).
In your trialfun, you can specify arbitrary metadata for every trial
by adding extra columns to the output trl-matrix. The 4th and higher
columns in the trl matrix will end up in data.trialinfo in the output
data. This trialinfo field is kept throughout your analysis pipeline,
as long as the data still contains trials. You could, for instance,
store the time index of the response as the 4th column of your trl,
the time index of the feedback onset as the 5th, etc. I always make
sure that at least a condition identifier and a reaction time (if
applicable) appear the trialinfo field.

Once this information is present in data.trialinfo, you can use
ft_selectdata and ft_redefinetrial to select the appropriate trials
and (if necessary) shift the time axis, respectively.

Hope that helps,
Best,
Eelke