[FieldTrip] ICA - Can I visualize Activity power spectrum of single components?

KatrinH Heimann katrinheimann at gmail.com
Wed May 28 15:54:24 CEST 2014

Diego, can I ask you another advice- this time more conceptually? I am
playing with the ICA now and experience, that I get very different
components depending on the artifact detection that I do beforehand. So my
idea (due to the literature) was, that the ICA works better on already
cleaned data. Now, as I want to do a frequency analysis afterwards, I did
not want to reject parts of trials. Therefore I deleted a relatively big
amount of trials in which I found muscle artifacts/drifts (Say 25% of the
whole amount of trials). However, in fact I see that the ICA then does not
give me easily to interpret components anymore - actually the results are
better (that is easier to interpret which is artifact, which not) if I
include all trials. If I only reject parts of the trials it gets even a bit
better. So my question is: Shell I a) do the (stricter) artifact detection
rather after the ICA or b) perform it on data with parts of trials marked
as bad - in which case I also ask: can I then still reject those components
in the uncleaned data (saved beforehand) so that I do not get problems with
the frequency analysis afterwards...?!
Thanks a lot for your help!!! Katrin