[FieldTrip] Cannot read the events of a .BDF file exported from an EGI .RAW

Chungki Lee dr.chungki.lee at gmail.com
Mon May 26 11:18:34 CEST 2014

Dear all

Fieldtrip can read events in BDF format !

Hear simple examples

example #1
%%
cfg                            = [];
cfg.dataset                =  '~~~ '; % your filename with file extension;
cfg.trialdef.eventtype  = 'STATUS'; % Status notation maybe Biosemi's
tigger name
cfg.trialdef.eventvalue = 1; % your event value
cfg.trialdef.prestim    = 4;  % before stimulation (sec), only use positive
value
cfg.trialdef.poststim   = 8; % after stimulation (sec) , only use positive
value
cfg                            = ft_definetrial(cfg);
cfg.method                = 'trial';
data                          = ft_preprocessing(cfg);
%%

example #2
%%
% if you executed these command lines
cfg                            = [];
cfg.dataset                =  '~~~ '; % your filename with file extension;
cfg.trialdef.eventtype  = '?';       % Status notation maybe Biosemi's
tigger name
cfg                            = ft_definetrial(cfg);

% result example #2
the following events were found in the datafile
event type: 'CM_in_range' with event values:
event type: 'Epoch' with event values:
event type: 'STATUS' with event values: 1    2    3    4  255
<-----------
"this indicate your file configuration for trigger information"
no trials have been defined yet, see FT_DEFINETRIAL for further help
found 255 events
created 0 trials
the call to "ft_definetrial" took 8 seconds

have fun~!!

d.lozanosoldevilla at fcdonders.ru.nl>:

> Hi Ana,
>
> Fieldtrip does not read events in BDF format. Take a look to our wiki:
>
> http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/getting_started/egi
>

>    - *EDF+* (.edf) All channels, including PIB channels, are read in
>    correctly, including channel labels. However, the events, which are stored
>    on the annotation channel, are written in a way by Net Station that is not
>    compatible with the edf+ reading implementation in FieldTrip. So, events do
>    not come out properly. Also discontinuous epochs are “glued” together as
>    one “continuous” data stream.
>
> As Arjen suggested, with *.RAW you shouldn't have any problem.
>
> event = ft_read_event('*.RAW')
>
> If you encounter it, please let us know.
>
> best,
>
> Diego
>

> On 26 May 2014 08:59, Arjen Stolk <a.stolk8 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Ana Laura,
>>
>> Have you tried importing the .RAW file directly? That is, by specifying
>> cfg.dataset = 'XXX.raw'?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Arjen

>>> Hi all!
>>>
>>> This is the .BDF file
>>> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/xu5a9jwefpxnx2v/RAWconTriggers.bdf>of one of
>>> my EEG subjects. For my last experiment I used a Biosemi system and now I'm
>>> using an EGI system which gives me .RAW files. I exported the .RAW file
>>> with EEGlab to .BDF format and I tried using the scripts I use to analise
>>> the data of my previous experiment but I realised that it was not reading
>>> the events:
>>>
>>> cfg = [];
>>> cfg.dataset = ' (location)';
>>> cfg.trialdef.eventtype  = '?';
>>> definetrial(cfg);
>>> Warning: no trialfun was specified, using trialfun_general
>>> evaluating trialfunction 'trialfun_general'
>>> no events were found in the datafile
>>> no trials have been defined yet, see DEFINETRIAL for further help
>>> found 0 events
>>> created 0 trials
>>>
>>> EEGlab does read them. Any idea of what could be wrong?
>>>
>>> Thank you all!!

Chungki Lee, Ph.D.
Post-doc
Biomedical Research Institute
Korea Institute of Science and Technology
E-mail: chungki at kist.re.kr
Tel:+82-2-958-5636, C.P: +82-10-5223-7309